Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Thanksgiving- A Week of Work/ Two Weeks until Graduation

I've returned to school after a busy Thanksgiving week and, as usual, I did not gotten nearly as much work completed as I wanted to. :(  I have zero discipline when it comes to working on school assignments at home-- I have no idea how I did it for the twelve years before college.  It was nice working on what assignments I did work on with a cat or two curled up at my feet or on the couch next to me. 


I mean, look at that face! How can you work with this little girl snuggled up next to you?  

Thanksgiving week consisted of doing some goofy stunts with my horse, watching Catching Fire with my best friend, celebrating my first snowfall of the season, and spending plenty of time with my family.  On Monday, I went to visit my horse, hoping I could get some cool pictures of the two of us.  Since I was by myself, I set my camera up on a tripod, put the setting on a timer, and then rode Kit around the camera to start the timer.  It was quite the entertaining trick.  Kit, of course, had no idea why I kept riding her in circles, but she did what I wanted her to, and her only opposition was prancing and threatening to buck once or twice.  It resulted in some good photos, and after a few test shots, she seemed to enjoy the challenge, especially since I was riding bareback, and she had a halter with connecting reins for a bridle.  We ended up with some really amazing photos.




 Going to see Catching Fire was such an enjoyable afternoon.  My friend and I spent lunch catching up, and then made our way to the movie theater.  The movie was amazingly difficult to watch because of how much it reminded me of southern West Virginia- our coal country.  I can't wait for Mockingjay to come to theaters.  The rest of my week consisted of working on my homework, reading a book or two, and decorating our Christmas tree after Thanksgiving.  I can happily report that I did not take part in Black Friday or Grey/Brown Thursday (which by the way already has a name:  THANKSGIVING!!!).  In fact, I was so disgusted with how people act when it comes to shopping at this time of year that I can't even express it in words.  I have no idea what kind of intense desire to to give gifts drives someone to use a taser:  "I want to give that gift more than you do!"  -_-  I'll jump off of the tangent train there.



Yesterday, I completed and then presented my Senior English Capstone to the Honors Program.  I have a second presentation tomorrow, in front of the English Department.  The semester is definitely winding down.  Only a few major papers, one creative writing project (for Greek Mythology) and two finals separate me from "the real world." I can't wait..........

Being back at home was interesting.  Things are just beginning to change there.  Trying to decide how I'm going to deal with the transition back home has been difficult.  I have a feeling that what I've been expecting my return home to be like is far from what will be the immediate future.  I did get a job over break, so at least that's covered.  I have a feeling I'll be writing this blog beyond my graduation in two weeks.  Transitioning won't be easy, but it's something that I think needs to be written.  I'm actually beginning to realize the things about this campus and even college life in general that I'm going to be missing in two weeks.  New friends are at the top of that list. 

No comments:

Post a Comment